Saturday 25 June 2011

Quilt Finished

Hello everyone, this is a quilt made from my Brother-in-Laws shirts, Peter gave me a bagful of shirts to use in my quilts so I decided to make him and his wife Hilary a quilt for a surprise, to add interest I have added some floral scraps which helps to break up the blue stripes. Kathleen asked me to have a go at freestyle quilting on my ordinary sewing machine, I have already done some freestyle quilting on a quilt as you go quilt which means it is done in small pieces but I have never done a completed quilt but Kathleen showed me how to roll up all the material so that it went through the machine and when I got half way to turn the quilt around and quilt the other way, I must admit I was a bit worried I would not be able to control all that fabric but I managed, I have just made up flowers which again Kathleen made me practice on some fabric first, I must say I am really pleased with the finished quilt and I hope Peter and Hilary are pleased to see his shirts again.










7 comments:

ana s. said...

The quilting is beautiful as is the quilt. I love those with some attachment to a person.

cottonreel said...

Well done Jill, you passed with honours and have every right to wear that feather in your cap .

Angela said...

That is a fabulous quilt - and lovely to think it is all recycled shirts. Blue AND green!!

well done with the ferestyle quilting too

Jane said...

The quilting is really attractive and it's great that you've used fabrics that have meaning for the person you've given the finished quilt to - I bet your brother and sister in law are chuffed to bits :O)

Piece by Piece said...

Great job on the quilting, it looks fantastic. I am sure your broth in law will love it.
Patricia

Mermaid's Purse said...

That's lovely! I was wondering if it was free machine quilting or not before I'd read that far - so you should be proud!

retdairyqueen said...

You have done a fantastic quilt for them Good job!!

Blog Archive